Sunday, April 11, 2010

Creamed Spinach with Parmesan


Creamed Spinach... I have never had it in my life until yesterday. I had the idea of making creamed spinach last week when I bought two large juicy sirloin steaks. I love to eat spinach and more often than not it is in a salad...well not this time. I wanted to try it differently and creamed spinach was the way to go. As I'm attempting to eat a little healthier I made it with soured cream, but by all means you can use cream instead. I bought a huge box of spinach and used the whole box to make this dish. As you wilt  the spinach your amazed at how quickly it reduces. We polished off all the spinach and would have had more if there was more available.

Creamed Spinach
1 large box baby Spinach
1 Tbsp Butter plus some for wilting the spinach
1 Tbsp Flour
Splash Milk
2 Tbsp Soured Cream
Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan



Begin by wilting the spinach down in a pan with a knob of butter. I did this in batches as my pan was not big enough. Allow to cool, then chop coarsely. Meanwhile in another pan add the tablespoon of butter and melt over a medium heat, then add the flour to make a thick paste. Loosen this paste up by adding a splash of milk (keep the pan on the heat and stir at all times to stop any lumps from appearing). This paste should remain thick but have a smoother consistency. Then add the soured cream and blend together well. Keep the pan on the heat and cook out the flour. Add the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste.  If you feel the sauce is too thick add some more soured cream or milk, but remember the spinach will add some more moisture making the sauce less thick. Add the chopped spinach and mix well. Allow the spinach to warm through and then serve. Voila.....a lovely creamy spinach dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment