Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cornbread


I have wanted to make corn bread for a while now but the thing was I had never had any up until yesterday. Ian and I had a very rare day off together (well that's how it feels at the moment we are like ships passing in the night) and decided to go out for brunch. We stumbled upon a Louisiana style restaurant half way during our walk and both dived into the front door after reading the menu. Ian chose the cowboy breakfast and I chose eggs with green peppers and cilantro over corn bread. Da da da, the corn bread was amazing. The first thing I noticed was that it was sweet, but not sickly sweet. It was just yummy yummy yummy, that's my professional opinion.

Having looked at a few recipes I found that it was not that dissimilar to a cake batter. I found a recipe that I liked and read a couple of reviews, many found it fantastic and a few thought the bread turned out a little too heavy. Having read these comments I wondered how I could vary the recipe to make it turn out perfect. (How big headed am I!!). So with a few changes this is how I did it.

Alex's Cornbread
1 1/4 Cup Corn meal
2 1/4 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Canned Sweetcorn
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
A good squeeze of Honey
2 Eggs
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
Pinch of Turmeric
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
2 Cups All Purpose Flour

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl add the cornmeal and pour over the milk. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder, turmeric, salt and sugar and whisk together. In a smaller bowl separate the eggs and lightly whisk the egg whites until frothy, then blend the yolks back into the whites. Fold the cornmeal mixture and eggs into the flour mixture until combined. Add a good squeeze of honey and the sweetcorn and mix in. Grease a loaf tin and pour in the batter. Bake for approx 40-50 minutes or until  a knife come out clean. Mine took about 50 minutes.


I made my corn bread more moist than what the original recipe called for as I used less cornmeal than the original recipe and it turned out lighter as I pre-whisked the eggs. Well that's what I thought anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment