Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Biscuits

Oh my, what a productive day I have had and to top it off all my cooking creations have turned out great. Not bad considering I am working nights and have one more to go. I don't know why but I always get creative in cooking when on nights. I must admit though last night I finished reading a biography on Julia Child so maybe that gave me the inspiration.

This afternoon I have managed to whip up a huge bowl of chicken caeser salad with roasted garlic and home made croutons, a batch of biscuits and a cinnamon rice pudding. Oh yes..... and not forgetting my foodie shopping spree. Phew!!!!


This blog post is going to be focused on the biscuits I made as I am so proud of how they turned out. For those of you in England a biscuit in North America is not what you dunk in your mug of tea. It is more like a savoury scone which you have alongside meals.When Mum and Dad came over to visit us last year we went for dinner at Mum's Godmothers in Abbottsford. Marjorie had made a huge plate of biscuits to go alongside a lovely lunch she prepared. Mum thought it was strange when everyone tucked into her so called scones (in my mum eyes) with their lunch After a quick explanation it wasn't long before mum started tucking in. The only difference I find between a biscuit and a scone is that biscuits are a lot lighter than that of a scone.


Having made these biscuits I am so going to experiment with them to make different variations (maybe some additions of sugar or fruit). Who knows the list is endless. I will have to keep you up to date with the variations that work. The best thing about these biscuits are that you only need 5 ingredients, the downside is that they are packed with fat... but who cares right!!!! (Another day of running for me).

Biscuits
2 Cups All purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1Tbsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 Cups of  cold whipping/ Heavy Cream (Mum you should use double cream xxx)
Melted Butter

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, then begin to fold in the cream with a spatula. When all the ingredients are combined mound the dough together to form a ball (do not kneed, just combine) and pour out onto the counter. If the dough is a little dry add some more cream until it combines. The dough should feel cool and silky (I found this very satisfying!!).  Press the dough down to a thickness of 3/4 inch and using a cookie cutter cut out the biscuits. With the remaining dough, gather it together to make further biscuits. This recipe should make about 10 biscuits. I made 9 and 1/2 this time. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and brush the melted butter generously over the top of each biscuit. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until they begin to turn brown on top. I find that they do not brown evenly in my oven so after baking I brush more butter over top before placing under the grill to brown them more evenly. And voila, the perfect biscuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment