Monday, March 15, 2010

Granola Bars

We are going on another road trip and we are so excited. This is no ordinary road trip though, we are going to investigate where we want to live and set up our first home together. As I said we are so excited that we are acting like a couple of crazy teenagers. It's all fun, if not hard work!!!


Traditionally whenever we set up for a road trip we always go to Denny's to have a huge breakfast but this time we have decided to have breakfast on the go....well a breakfast picnic. This got my mind going into overdrive about what we could eat. Obviously we couldn't have anything warm as we couldn't maintain the heat. The other thing I didn't want to do was to have lots of bread as we were also going to have a lunch picnic. I basically decided that I would do a brunch style of picnic where breakfast and lunch items were interchangeable, so we could eat anything at anytime. After racking my brains and scrolling through the internet my decision was made. Boiled eggs, banana bread muffins, fresh fruit salad, BLT picnic sandwich, granola bars, coffee and fruit juice. Sounds perfect!!! I was happy knowing that I could prepare all food needed but I did want to practice making the granola bars. Last year I made some granola bars that tasted great but didn't look like they were supposed too. This time I tried a different recipe adapted from Betty Crocker and they turned out awesome. I've had to put them straight in the freezer to stop nibbling at them. How naughty am I?!!!

Granola Bars
2 cups Oatmeal
2 cups Granola
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 Cup Of seeds (I used pumpkin seeds, you can also add chopped nuts)
1/2 Cup plus 1 Tbsp Honey
4 Tbsp Brown sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
2/3 Cup Crunchy peanut butter


Start by preparing a baking sheet by covering it in a layer of foil and grease the foil, then set aside. In a large mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients together apart from the brown sugar.In a pan and over a medium heat melt the sugar into the honey until dissolved and add the peanut butter and vanilla extract. Stir together until well combined. Pour the hot honey mixture over the granola and mix until all the granola and oats are covered. You will need to be quick as this will start to set. Pour the combined mixture into the baking sheet and press it down with the back of a spoon packing it together tightly and evenly.. Allow to cool, then slice into bars.

These taste amazing they are slightly chewy and go perfect with a cup of tea. The best thing about this recipe is that you can use pretty much anything you want as long as the total amount of dry ingredients are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment