Thursday, March 4, 2010

Patatas Bravas

Wow, isn't it amazing what you can create with nothing. I open my fridge and to me I see lots of potential but to others it would look bare and the ingredients wouldn't match up to much. From a few basic ingredients I managed to make a gourmet feast with a Spanish tapas theme.

I was very impressed if I do say so myself. I was particularly impressed with my patatas bravas. Originally I was going to buy some Italian sausages but the supermarket had run out so I opted for honey mustard sausages, which actually worked quite well, but to get the authentic flavor, Italian or chorizo sausage would have been better. But hey ho you can't win em' all!!!


I originally had patatas bravas in Barcelona. I went to my first tapas restaurant and I fell in love with this dish and style of eating. On return from Barcelona a friend and I couldn't get  enough of  tapas, we found an awesome restaurant in Putney, London called La Mancha, which we often frequented and patatas bravas was a regular. 

My version of Patatas bravas
Handful of new potatoes cooked and sliced thickly
2 Sausages
1 Large Tomato chopped
I Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
Pinch Salt
Pinch sugar
Pinch Red Chilli Flakes
1 tsp White wine vinegar
Chicken Stock
Oil
Garlic clove crushed


Firstly heat some oil in a pan and cook the sausages until they have browned. Remove from the pan and slice into1/4 inch pieces. In the same pan fry the sliced potatoes until browned and remove from pan. Add some more oil to pan if need and add tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, spices and salt. Mix these together in the pan to combine. When the tomatoes begin to soften, crush them with the back of a spoon into the sauce. If the sauce is to thick add some chicken stock to loosen it up. Return the potatoes and sausages to the pan and warm through. Add further salt if needed. Then serve....


1 comment: