Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Beetroot and Pear Salad

I love beetroot... I didn't realize that you could have it in so many ways. I grew up knowing only of pickled beetroot which we always had with salads, it was only when I moved to Lancashire that I knew you could eat it warm (and not pickled!!!). My beetroot world  advanced into new heights.

I wanted to serve a salad alongside our pizzas to enhance our nutritional intake. I had a salad very similar to this on New years eve and I absolutely adored it. So this is my variation of it:

Beetroot and Pear salad with olive oil mayonnaise
Cooked fresh beetroot
Firm Pear
Salad Leaves
Parmesan
Walnuts (Optional)

Olive oil mayonnaise
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup Olive Oil
S&P

To make the mayonnaise, lightly whisk the egg with the lemon juice (you can either use an electric whisk or a fork. I find it easier with an electric whisk). and gradually trickle in the oil in a thin stream whilst continuing to whisk. The mayonnaise will begin to get thick, if it is too thick you can thin it out with some water. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

I like to put a layer of the mayonnaise on the plate first and then top it with slices of beetroot (I like to use warm beetroot) and pears. The salad leaves are then piled on top followed by shavings of Parmesan and the walnuts. A final drizzle of olive oil finishes it off nicely. Et Voila!!!

There is no picture as we devoured it without giving it a second thought. Oooopps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment