Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Warming Chilli

You can't beat a bowl of hot steamy chilli on a cold fall or winters day. It warms you up through and through and can be served almost alongside anything, nachos, cheese scones, biscuits, crusty bread, rice, baked potatoes, corn bread, salad...the list is endless. I find chilli so versatile and for that reason I tend to make a large batch of chilli and freeze any leftovers (that's if we ever have any). I have been experimenting with my chilli for a while trying to get the spiciness right. Ian likes a hot hot chilli where as I like a mild chilli. I do believe though that my taste buds can take a little more heat than what they once did. I always stick to the main ingredients when making a chilli but  recently have been trying out new flavors to make my chilli more rounded.

I have been reading a few recipes and some have used a shot of coffee to give the chili a rich flavor. I thought that I would give this a go. Other options included adding plain chocolate to the pan and using different chilli's. After my experiment tonight I think I have perfected the perfect chilli....well at least for moi!!!

Chilli
500g Minced Beef
1 Small Sirloin steak cut into 1cm cubes
1 Medium Onion
1 Medium Green Pepper
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Smoked Chipotle Peppers and 1tsp Juice from Can
1Tsp Ground Coriander
1Tsp Smoked Paprika
1Tsp Paprika
2 Tsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Shot of Espresso
Salt
1 Can Crushed Tomatoes (300ml approx)
1 Can of Kidney or romano beans 
11/2 Cups Beef Stock
Flour for coating the steak
To begin with finely dice the onion, garlic and green pepper. In a large pan add a splash of oil and gently sweat the onion,garlic and pepper until they become soft. Meanwhile coat the cubes of steak in the flour and add to the pan and brown. Add the minced beef and brown. Then add all the spices and stir well to coat the contents of the pan. Add the liquid ingredients and tomato paste and mix well. Finally add the beans. Season with salt and simmer on a low heat for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop whilst stirring occasionally. (The longer the chilli stays simmering the more flavorsome it comes). I simmer the chilli with the lid on but if the sauce is not thick enough I remove the lid for a while until it thickens up. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment