Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Yorkshire Puddings


This is my 100th post. Wahoooo!!! and today I am going to talk about Yorkshire puddings, something I have never been able to perfect. As I was born in Yorkshire, you would think that making these would come naturally...well no. Previous attempts have turned out dense and tasted too eggy.  Yesterday though, this changed, I made the best yorkshire puddings ever. They were light and airy yet crisp on the outside. They were just like how my mum makes them. The batter mix made six and I ate four of them. Two of them with my dinner and the other two randomly dipped in left over beef gravy. Mmm mmm!!!

The secret that I have always been told is to have the oil really hot in the muffin tins and the batter very cold, so this is what I did.  As I poured the batter in the tins I heard the oil sizzle and I knew I had cracked it. I watched through the oven door in anticipation as the batter rose and turned a nice golden brown. I was so happy that they turned out so well. They had doubled insize and were so light and above all yummy.

They were perfect and tasted so good alongside our roast beef and garlic mashed potato. Ian was so impressed

Yorkshire Pudding mix
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Water
2 Eggs
Pinch of salt
Oil or Beef Dripping

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the milk, water and eggs. Whisk well to combine, you should see little bubbles within the mixture. If you make the batter in advance cover and store in refrigerator (just lightly whisk again before adding to the pans). Using a muffin tin add a small layer of oil or beef dripping to six of the tins and place in oven until it starts to sizzle. When the oil is hot pour the batter into the tins (I left a quarter space between the batter and the top of the tin to allow it to rise). Bake for approx 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment