Sunday, June 27, 2010

Seared Tuna with Thai Chilli Mayonnaise

I have always been scared of cooking fresh tuna. Did I trust myself to cook it right? Would eating medium rare tuna that I cooked make me ill... after all its raw fish. I ate sushi often enough but was never 100% confident in my own abilities. I decided to take the leap of faith after a friend at work had ordered pan fried tuna for her lunch. It just looked so tasty.

My main mission was to find a nice piece of fresh tuna steak. My local superstore fish counter was very dissapointing, so a trip to whole foods was on the cards. There poking through the ice was 3 nice juicy pink steaks staring at me. I picked my steak and eagerly watched as it got wrapped up in brown paper. I couldn't wait to make it. I rushed home knocked together some asian slaw and began to prepare for the searing of the tuna.

A light sprinkling of salt and pepper was all the tuna needed. The frying pan was hot and a thin layer oil was swirling. In went the tuna. I gave it one minute then turned it over and gave it another minute. The tuna easily came away from the frying pan as the pan was hot enough to sear it quickly. I allowed the steak to rest treating it like a beef steak (not sure if this is needed but it made me feel more confident and chefy!!! (What an idiot!!!).

I sliced it nice and thinly and it looked superb. The pink shiny band of tuna glowed through the light brown seared borders. I was so impressed. I served it with a huge dollop of Thai chilli mayonnaise. It was devoured within minutes. I can now honestly say I am not scared of cooking tuna any more. Just make sure it is fresh and the pan is hot.


Seared Tuna with Thai Chilli Mayonnaise (Serves 2)
1 fresh tuna steak
Salt & Pepper
Oil
For the Mayo
2 Tbsp Mayo
1 Tbsp Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce

On a medium high heat, heat a enough oil to coat the bottom of a heavy based frying pan until it starts to swirl. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. (I like to use sea salt as I like the crunch of the salt on the tuna). Place the tuna in the pan (it should sizzle straight away). Watch as the tuna starts to turn opaque, you should be able to judge when the steak needs to be turned over. I usually sear it for a minute on either side. If you begin to turn the steak over and it is sticking to the pan it will need a few more seconds. The steak should lift off easily from the pan. Sear the other side then remove from the pan and allow to rest for a couple of minutes. While the tuna is resting mix the mayonnaise and chilli sauce together until combined.

Slice the tuna finely and arrange on a plate. Serve with a huge dollop of the mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment