Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fish Cakes

I have been toying with making fish cakes for a while and yesterday I was forced into it. Originally I had bought some fresh salmon fillets but in my neurotic organisation I had put all the fillets in the freezer, so I turned towards some tinned salmon, which worked pretty well and to top it off, it reduced the cooking time (Excellent). To serve alongside the fish cakes I decided to make my infamous potato salad, a mixture of beetroot, celeriac and  roasted potatoes mixed in a mustard sauce. It is much lighter than regular potato salad which I find can be a little claggy. A spring salad with roasted cherry tomatoes was also served. It was a perfect meal for two people who recently have been overindulged with junk food.

Fish Cakes
2 Small tins of Salmon
3 Cups Cold Mashed Potato (2 large russet pots)
1 Egg beaten
Lemon Rind
Juice of half a lemon
Handful of Cilantro finely choppped (You can use parsley or dill)
Bread crumbs
1/4 tsp Paprika
S&P



The most important advice I can give you is to use cold mashed potato, if it is warm the patties will be too soft and will break up. The second important piece of advice is if you are using tinned salmon make sure you drain it well and remove the spinal bones (unless you like the crunch!!). Now that that has been said it is now time for the fun to begin.... Mix the egg, lemon juice, rind, paprika, salt and pepper into the potato until combined. Now flake the fish in over top with the chopped cilantro. Using a spatula fold the fish into the mash potato. I like to do this instead of mixing it in as I like chunky pieces of fish throughout the patty. Form into patties and place in the fridge to firm up if needed. When ready roll the fish cakes in the breadcrumbs and shallow fry in oil over a medium heat to warm the patty through and brown the breadcrumbs. Flip to brown the other side and serve. Voila a quick easy supper.

The most common problem with making fishcakes is that the patties can get very soft if using hot mashed potato hence the important advise above.

No comments:

Post a Comment