Friday, July 23, 2010

Clam Chowder

I absolutely love clam chowder. I first had it when we came to Canada in 2008 served with a huge corned beef and sauerkraut toasted sandwich. It was bliss.

I don't know why it took me so long to make it......but I'm so glad I did. It was a triumph. As with most of my recipes I adapted a good old fashioned recipe and put my own spin on it. Have a go and let me know what you think

Clam Chowder
I Large can of Clams in Juice (400g)
1 Cup chopped red onion
3 Cups small diced red potatoes
2 Cups of half and half cream
1Tbsp Butter plus some extra for sautéing
1 Tbsp Flour
1 Tbsp Dill chopped
S&P

In a large saucepan add a good knob of butter and melt over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté' until softened, then remove and set aside. Keeping the pan on the heat add the Tbsp butter and melt. Stir in the flour until you get a thick paste. Strain the clams and retain the juice. Add this juice slowly  into the flour paste and stir to blend them together making a thickish sauce. Add the diced potatoes and simmer with the lid on for 10 mins or until the potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally You may need to add some water or more clam juice if the stock gets too thick Once the  potatoes are tender return the onions to the pan and the clams. Mix well and then add the cream. Season with salt and pepper and dill. Simmer for a further 3-5 minutes. Then serve.

PHOTO'S TO FOLLOW :)

No comments:

Post a Comment